Thursday, January 3, 2013

Hippies

I am simultaneously fascinated and appalled by hippies (keeping in mind there are varying degrees of hippiness, the ones who are pooping in public parks as part of the Occupy movement are just all kinds of wrong.).  I'm talking about the naked bike ride hippies, the yoga hippies, the live on $2000 a year hippies.  I am fascinated by their happiness and their weirdness. Like how does your brain get there? Where do you wake up and think I would like to ride a bicycle with my naked hooha resting on a leather seat in front of equally naked 70 year old men?
But when you start trying to live a healthy life, it feels a little hippie-ish.  When you start talking about clean eating, vitamins, and yoga after a lifetime of meat and potatoes and circling the lot for the closest parking space, you feel like a hippie wannabe.
I was fortunate enough to get into a fb group that was focused on healthy living.  I quickly found some girls that were in different places on their healthy journey, so they inspire me in different ways (you know who you are, Heathers!). Soon a small group of us broke off from the big group and it's been even better! It is a safe place to discuss my "new" lifestyle without feeling like a fraud.   It may seem weird to some people, but think about it, if you can find an awesome husband online, why shouldn't you be able to find awesome friends?  I have!! (hmmm, maybe I should rethink eharmony......).
Don't get me wrong, my long time friends and my family are very supportive of my journey, but it's awesome to have that daily conversation with people who are on the same path as you.  Whether it's sweating out 10k steps a day on our Fitbits, trading Green Monster recipes, or holding each other to weekly weigh-ins, I know I wouldn't have been able to stay on this path without my new friends.
So stay open to new ways of making friends and look for support in unusual places. 
Love, Peace and Hippiness!

9 comments:

  1. Love you marcee! I am glad that we are on this journey together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a hippie and a half and I love this post. I have always had hippie tendencies, but my friends and family certainly don't. Being healthy does make me feel a little more hippie-ish but it is so wonderful to have friends that I can talk to about it all! You ladies make my journey so much better! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband calls me "a little bit crunchy". Hippie, granola, crunchy? I have given up on how his mind works! Love it girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this Marcee!! You're not a fraud, you're a Heather ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would gladly be a hippie with you anytime! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. great post Marcee!!!
    I definitely know that I wouldnt be able to stay on track without my Pioneers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love you and this post, Marcee :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. If we are gonna be hippies, can we stop shaving our legs?

    ReplyDelete